Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 73 - Natto...

June 8, 2011



That's right. This is the legendary Japanese fermented soy bean. This is probably my 4th time trying natto. The first time eating it was...8 years ago (?) when I first stepped into Japanland. I actually didn't think it was bad when I first have it. I just thought it's like melted cheese mixed with somewhat flavorless beans.

This is my 2nd time having natto as part of my school lunch. I did not like it the first time I had it at lunch. I tried to have it but I just could finish it. I ate half of it last time. I wasn't even going to take it this time, but my tea lady said something like since I eat w/ the kids, it's probably not good to not eat it...so I did. Yup, I didn't like it, but I finished it because I was w/ the kids. The kids ubberly enjoyed the natto. They taught me that when you're eating natto, you're supposed to slurp the natto and rice just like eating noodle. I tried, but I haven't mastered it yet.

I wanted to take a picture of natto after lunch. Since I showed the concern of having to eat it once opened, one of my co-workers had kindly offered to eat it for me. He described it as "ネバネバdelicious". (the Japanese means "sticky")

It was not a pleasant lunch since I had to try hard finishing that natto. Well, がんばりました...I tried.

1 comment: