Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 114 - 土用の丑の日 (Doyou no ushi no hi)

July 19, 2011



Wooohoo, I love learning new things. =) Yesterday I was wondering why there are shttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifo many eels on sale now. I’ve always loved eels. I have heard eel is especially good for men… (?) To “expand” my Japanese culture knowledge, I asked my tea lady why there are so many more eels on sale now.

Apparently, eel is very nutritious (Hmmm, I should have known it eh?). According to a website, eel is very rich in many vitamins, and it helps lowering one’s cholesterol and blood pressure. Well, I’m not sure how reliable the info on this site is, but eel sounds like something good to eat. =)

Ok, then what does it have to do w/ that 土用丑の日? According to the Japanese calendar, it’s a day in summer, and it changes every year. Eel-eating is good especially during hot days. Because eel is very nutritious, it’s healthy to have ell during hot days to replenish energy and nutrients. The “丑” in “丑の日” is pronounced as “ushi”. Since eel in Japanese (unagi) also starts with “u”, it has been a tradition to eat eel (unagi) in this 丑の日 (ushi no hi). Hmmmm, to be honest, I’m still not a hundred person sure I know what this 丑の日 really means, this is just a rough explanation of this unagi-eating tradition.

Ha, anyway, I actually haven’t had any unagi since I came here because unagi tends to be somewhat expensive. It’s interesting to hear this cultural stories in this Japanland.

I am happy to be here! =)

1 comment:

  1. that sounds so cool! Interesting too! Glad that you'r fine over there!

    ReplyDelete