April 8, 2011
There was another big earthquake yesterday at around 11:50pm. It was a 7.4 aftershock. The epicentre was, again, quite close to Sendai. It was a 6 at Sendai. I was at home...on my bed. I planned to sleep early yesterday because I think I caught a cold. Well, the earthquake totally woke me up. Initially I thought it's just another strongish after shock, BUT it started to shake like crazy!!!! I started to hear things dropping at my apartment...
Hmmm, you might be thinking..."what did you do during the quake? dig and cover?? open the doors???" Haha, um...nope. I..um...continued to lie on my bed. I figure unless the house collapses, my bed might actually be a pretty safe place...XD There's nothing heavy on top of me. Hmm, well, I guess next time (but I certainly don't want a next time...) I will open the doors so if I had to leave, I could. Immediately after the quake, I went to turn on the light, take out my important stuff once again, move some of my furnitures again, and turn on the tv. Man, this tv is tough!!! I got it for free before I arrived Japan. From the last quake, the tv dropped on the floor w/ the screen facing down. Yesterday I actually found out some cracks on the side of my tv, BUT it still worked fine!!! =) I instantly saw the news talking about the quake. It was the strongest after shock so far (and I centainly hope it will be the only one...). However, I was fortunate enough to continue to have power, water, and gas.
Again, it was very hard to make phone calls, so I went on fb using my phone to update my status. Haha, I was actually pleasantly surprised that I still had gas! I went to take a shower immediately because i didn't know when would be the next time I could do that. It was my first time washing my hair and body in 4 minutes. Luckily I live by myself. Just in case another if another huge after shock would happen, I didn't close the washroom door. It was a goooood 4 minutes tho. =) Soon after I finished taking a shower, both my sis and supervisor called me to make sure I was safe and sound.
Ok, I guess back to my photo of the day. I was going to work this morning and found out the train was not operating, so I could stay home for the day. I was glad that I could rest today because I was sooooooo tired (!!)...from the quake and my trip. Yes, add oil arrrr, Tohoku! I really wish all these quake, tsunami, radiation problem will end soon!!!! 東北がんばろう!! Signs like this are everywhere in town. Every other commercial on tv was about telling people to trust Japan's strength and to go through this tough time together. I like this team spirit building aspect. I guess that's one of the reasons why people are willing to help each other, and patiently wait in line for things instead of complaining.
Another realization from the quake:
do what you want/need to do when you still have the chance because you never when you will lose the opportunity.
Well, I guess this can be a food for thought for me and everyone. =)
東北,がんばろう!!!! 日本,加油!!
No comments:
Post a Comment